- Psoriasis is characterized by development of well defined, scaly red patches over the skin ,involving the scalp , chest , back, abdomen, elbows , knees ,hands & feet. It commonly appears in the younger age groups however, it can start at any age. It can affect the extensively whole body ,known as EXFOLIATIVE PSORIASIS. In few patients joint can also be involved, when it is known as PSORIATIC ARTHROPATHY ( seen in 15—20 % cases)
- A positive family history is seen in 10 – 20 % cases. Environmental factors play a major role, the disease is precipitated by dry & cold weather , upper respiratory tract infection, some drugs & stressful situations.
The different types of Psoriasis are:
- Psoriasis of the whole body
- Scalp Psoriasis
- Nail Psoriasis
- Guttate Psoriasis
- Exfoliative Psoriasis
- Pustular Psoriasis
- Arthropathic psoriasis
- Flexural Psoriasis
- Psoriasis of Palms & soles
In some difficult cases skin biopsy is confirmatory.
- The most important point to emphasize is that this disease is partially curable & even once ,completely cleared it can relapse. Hence the patient has to accept this notion & take care of certain factors like:
- Using of moisturizing agents in winter season
- Avoid too much soaps & shampoos.
- In case of any major illness , stress, operation , post pregnancy treatment may be required
A wide range of treatment modalities is available.
- Topical cortisone ointments
- Salicylic Acid
- Vitamin D & its analogues
- Anti biotics
- Retinoids , like Etretinate , Acitretin
- Anti metabolic drugs like Methotraxate,Cyclosporin
- NB UVB