Many modalities can resurface the skin to improve skin quality, to reduce age spots, soften fine lines and treat acne or other scars. Modalities include treatments with tradional dermabrasion, chemical peeling, laser resurfacing and micro dermabrasion.
Micro dermabrasion was developed in Italy in 1985. The micro dermabrasion technique abrades skin with a high pressure flow of crystals. All resurfacing procedure exerts their effects though different dermal ablation.
Micro dermabrasion produces a superficial ablation, primary in the epidermis. This procedure is inffective for deeper wrinkles or scars. However for fine lines and more superficial scars, it can be an effective treatment with minimal risk and rapid recovery.
Indications of Microdermabrasion
- Early photo aging
- Fine lines
- Superficial scarring
- To improve the facial glow
Advantages of Micro dermabrasion
- Doesn’t require anesthesia
- Is simple and quick to perform
- Can be repeated at short intervals
- Doesn’t significantly interrupt the patients life
- Recent/current use of Isotretinoin, Active Herpes infection, Certain keratosis, Keloids
- No pre medication is required.
- Prior to procedure degrease the skin with spirit and acetone.
- Eyes are covered with cotton balls.
- Treated area is cleaned with wet cloth to remove any residual crystals. Keep cold compression for 10min. Advised to continue the application of moisturizes because exfoliation may occur.
Erythema resolves within hours after treatment sunscreen should be used liberally
Follow Up Care
- It usually requires a series of 5 to 10 treatments.
- The sittings can be longer particularly with acne scarring
- Treatment can be done at interval of 7-10days.
- The number and frequency of treatment can be tailored to the individual patient requirement.